Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 00:12:25 -0400

  > A user has (usually) no idea of these "several problems", and knows even
  > less how to fix them.  For such users the problem is simply "Emacs
  > displays gibberish".

If we can reproduce that case, we might be able to implement changes
that would detect some of the causes of the gibberish, and take action
either to (1) provide a fallback substitute for something or (2)
give a meaningful and useful error message.

That would be a step forward, at least; and after that we could
see what problems users still encounter.

  > So IMO for these users it would be much better to display characters with
  > a low-resolution font, together with a warning (and perhaps a pointer to a
  > short guide) (as a help-echo and/or in the echo area), instead of a tofu.

I don't know what you mean by "tofu", but your idea of displaying the
right character in the wrong font, rather than gibberish, sounds
useful.

The possible challenge would be deciding when to do this.
When would users prefer this, and
when would users prefer what Emacs does now?

--
Dr Richard Stallman