Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 17:45:26 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 00:12:25 -0400
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>   > So IMO for these users it would be much better to display characters with
>   > a low-resolution font, together with a warning (and perhaps a pointer to
>   > short guide) (as a help-echo and/or in the echo area), instead of a tofu.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "tofu", but your idea of displaying the
> right character in the wrong font, rather than gibberish, sounds
> useful.

"Tofu" is the code of the character in hex, displayed in a box -- this
is how we by default show on GUI frames characters for which Emacs
couldn't find a suitable font.

But that isn't gibberish, in any shape or form.  It is one of the
accepted ways of showing a character for which there's no font; other
applications do the same (and don't bother to show any message about
that, btw).