Re: MELPA issues - Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: MELPA issues - Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 07:06:04 +0200

Le sam. 17 oct. 2020 à 06:59, chad <yandros@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:20 PM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>>   > As a package writer, my main concern is that
>>   > it seems that the package submission process
>>   > require proprietary software (particularly non-free
>>   > JavaScript by m$ Github).
>>
>> What I would do, in that situation, is not submit my package to Melpa.
>>
>> Meanwhile, this aspect of Melpa is an additional reason not to do
>> anything to lead people to use Melpa.
>

> This seems to be based on the incorrect assumption that package authors must
> use GitHub to use MELPA. According to the MELPA docs:

But can a user submit a new package without filing a pull request
against Melpa's github repository?

This requires using github to create an account, create the fork and
file the pull request.

There is a github cli program which might allow do the latter two, but
creating the account will still require github's javascript.