Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 12:09:28 -0400

   When a survey purposefully omits a well-known and popular option, it is
   going to discount a sizable portion of our community, and ignore a
   project that has done a lot to popularize Emacs over the years.

Only that wasn't what was being suggested, rather there where two
solution purposed to solve that issue (either freeform text, or a
disclaimer about why MELPA isn't recommended).

And just because a different project popularizes a GNU project,
doesn't mean that it must automatically be supported -- specially if
there are ethical and moral reasons to not.

   I think it's both insulting to its developers, and stinks of thought
   police. Far from the idea of user freedom I hope to expect from GNU and FSF.

What users do, and what the GNU or the FSF does are quite different
things -- the GNU project and the FSF try to protect that users have
the freedom, with that comes a responsibility to users to not point
them towards software that is non-free.  What users do, is up to them.

That is neither insulting, or being thought police -- the GNU project
has a specific goal, somethings are simply not related to it, or
against it.