Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:17:02 +0200

>> Make sure that the header-line face does *not* inherit the
>> variable-pitch face.
>
> My header-line face uses the same variable pitch face as my mode line,
> so I'm not sure why you say the above.
>
> There are indeed several uses of the header-line that need/want to be
> aligned with the buffer's content (typically for tabular formats), which
> I bumped into back when I started using a variable pitch face for the
> mode/header-lines, but these should be fixed in any case (for those
> people like me who use a variable pitch face), and I have indeed fixed
> those cases that I saw (e.g. `list-buffers`, `list-packages`,
> `csv-mode`, `ses-mode`, ...).

mu4e’s *mu4e-headers* buffer has a header line (“Date”, “Flgs”, “List”,
“From”, “Subject”), which no longer lines up with the contents of the
buffer when the mode-line face inherits from variable-pitch.

I suspect that other packages would suffer from the same problem (and we
can’t fix this for them all), so perhaps it would be a good idea to
override the inheritance of header-line by default.

--
Ricardo