Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 15:41:13 -0400

>>> Make sure that the header-line face does *not* inherit the
>>> variable-pitch face.
>> My header-line face uses the same variable pitch face as my mode line,
>> so I'm not sure why you say the above.
> Try hexl-mode.

I use `nhexl-mode` ;-)

It should be pretty easy to fix `hexl-mode` to do something like what
`nhexl-mode` does (based on my experience with the various other
packages I fixed over the years).

But at least in `nhexl-mode` I still get a slightly incorrect result in
the "right hand side ASCII area" because the digits of my variable-pitch
font take up a bit more horizontal space than the chars of my monospaced
font, so the "0123456789abcdef" string in the header-line ends up wider
(by ~2 chars) than the 16 monospaced chars below.  Luckily, it's the
last field of the line, so it's not too bothersome, but admittedly
it's unsatisfactory.

I actually played with another approach which was to impose the same
font in `nhexl-mode`s header-line as in the buffer's text, but after
playing with it I decided that I preferred the variable pitch font,
despite its downsides.

        Stefan