Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 14:13:32 +0300

> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 10:32:33 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > Do you intend to leave the active minibuffer on the original frame, and
> > use the other frame for Isearch?  Note that Isearch also uses the
> > minibuffer.
>
> I'm not understanding that, properly.  When I enter characters into
> isearch in F2, this doesn't throw an error when the F1 minibuffer is
> still active.  Is isearch perhaps just using the echo area, here?
>
> Anyway, I tried the suggestion of Gregory Heytings from yesterday evening
> at 21:48:49 +0000.  He put an extra condition into
> set-minibuffer-message, so that it only does its thing when the current
> frame is also the minibuffer's frame.  It appears to work well.

Does that work if you set tty-menu-open-use-tmm non-nil, then press
f10 while the I-search: prompt is active?  This is one case where
Isearch reads from the minibuffer.

Another, perhaps more important, use case is when you type "M-s e"
during Isearch: that enters the minibuffer to let you edit the search
string.  Yet another similar use case is when you type "C-x 8 RET"
during Isearch: that reads the character's name/codepoint from the
minibuffer.

These are the use cases I had in mind when I asked about Isearch using
the minibuffer.