Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:18:24 +0000

Hi Alan,

Thanks. So I think your change is a definite improvement, and I therefore installed it on the emacs-27 branch.

Thank you.  Alas, it's not the only bug of this new feature.  A recipe:

emacs -Q
(progn
   (set-frame-width nil 80)
   (setq max-mini-window-height 1)
   (setq default-directory (concat "/" (make-string 67 ?a)))
   (call-interactively 'find-file))
press C-x o
press C-s

At this point you see no indication that I-search has been started. (If you look close enough, the only thing you can see is a curly arrow in the right fringe of the miniwindow.) Likewise, if you press C-x C-s, you see no indication that changes have been saved (or not). And so forth.

Well, whoever sees/doesn't see this did set max-mini-window-height to 1. Surely this is a case of you ask for it, you get it.

With earlier Emacsen that setting would not have had such effect, the contents of the minibuffer would have been overwritten by the echo area in all cases. Setting max-mini-window-height to 1 is perfectly valid, and by the way the same thing could happen with max-mini-window-height set to 2 and a longer input, and so forth. This also could happen for those who use independent miniwindows, which have a fixed size.

It is amazing that such a feature got accepted, was included in an official Emacs release, and became Emacs' default behavior, without even trying the two obvious cases to test: what happens when there is not enough free space in the minibuffer? and what happens when the active minibuffer is not on the same frame?

Bugs are always obvious after somebody's pointed them out. Well done for finding them!

I don't think so, these two cases are obvious things to check. I did not know about that feature before you sent your message three days ago, and after fixing the bug you found this bug is the second thing that immediately came to my mind.