Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 09:24:36 +0200

On Sun 04 Oct 2020 at 10:31, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>> Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 23:45:20 -0400
>>
>>   > We have "M-x eww" to go to Wiktionary directly.
>>
>> Does using eww imply visiting a web site over the net?
>
> Yes, if the URL is HTTP/HTTPS/FTP.

No, if the URL is file.

Example:
cat "hi there" > /tmp/a.html
eww file:///tmp/a.html

>> My point is that this should work even if you don't have
>> a network connection, provided you have a local copy
>> of Wiktionary.
>
> EWW is not the solution for that use case.

It is not obvious to me why.

For example, I've been using eww with off-line Common Lisp HyperSpec and
it works well.  A key bound to hyperspec-lookup function will simply
open relevant local html file.

A dictionary could work like that too.  Could you please describe the
problems, why eww is not the solution for that use case?