Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 11:28:05 +0300

* Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> [2020-10-03 05:57]:

>   > There is module wikimedia that then can use the Wiktionary as database
>   > and serve such through localhost server.
>
> What format does that use for the copy it downloads?

I have asked Sergey, developer of wikimedia module to provide more information.

>   > So the solution is already there.
>
> WHen it comes to downloading a copy of Wiktionary,
> it makes a big difference what format you use.
> The smallest format that can be searched quickly enough
> is the best format.
>
> The .zim file for Wiktionary from June 2018 (the newest version
> available a year ago) is 4408344149.
> In download.kiwix.org I see that the most complete version is 5.5 G.
>
> How does the format dico uses compare with that?

We will know when Sergey, developer of wikimedia module for GNU Dico
answers to me.

dictd or RFC 2229 format is not as nice as ZIM files, it gives textual
definition, like this one below, without hyperlinks:

 Found one definition

>From en.wiktionary.org:

[Computer]

** English

*** Etymology

>From [en].

*** Pronunciation

- [UK] [en]
- [en]
- [US] [en]
- [en]
- [en]
- [en]

*** Noun

[en-noun]

1. [en] A person employ ed to perform computation s; one who compute s. [from
17th c.]
2. * [en]
3. * 1927 , J. B. S. Haldane, _Possible Worlds and Other Essays_ , page 173
4. *: Only a few years ago Mr. Powers, an American COMPUTER , disproved a
hypothesis about prime numbers which had held the field for more than 250 years.
5. * 2003 , [Bill Bryson] , _A Short History of Nearly Everything_ , BCA, page
116:
6. *: One Harvard COMPUTER , Annie Jump Cannon, used her repetitive
acquaintance with the stars to devise a system of stellar classifications so
practical that it is still in use today.
7. [en] A male computer, where the female computer is called a computress .
8. A programmable electronic device that performs mathematical calculation s
and logical operation s, especially one that can process , store and retrieve
large amounts of data very quickly; now especially, a small one for personal or
home use employed for manipulating text or graphics, accessing the Internet, or
playing games or media. [from 20th c.]