Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 19:33:08 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-10-02 19:19]:
> > Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 19:13:07 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: rms@gnu.org, spacibba@aol.com, eduardoochs@gmail.com,
> >   philipk@posteo.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org, ams@gnu.org,
> >   dgutov@yandex.ru, jamtlu@gmail.com
> >
> > * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-10-02 10:09]:
> > > What's so special about wiktionary that we should prefer it?  The
> > > other free and PD dictionaries used by dict.org aren't of lower
> > > quality, and sometimes much better.
> >
> > The official GNU Dico project can show you mass of dictionaries being
> > served from official GNU Dico server, including over web, see here:
> >
> > https://dicoweb.gnu.org.ua/
> >
> > and here http://www.gnu.org/software/dico/
> >
> > So everything is there, including Wikipedia and Wiktionary and
> > plethora of other dictionaries.
>
> That doesn't answer my question, does it?

Sorry.

For me, when defining the word, etymology is important for full
understanding. That is main reason for Wiktionary for me.

Good reason is that Wiktionary is localized in many languages, for
example Indonesian with so many people.

Quote from Wiktionary website:

Wiktionary has grown beyond a standard dictionary and now includes a
thesaurus, a rhyme guide, phrase books, language statistics and
extensive appendices. We aim to include not only the definition of a
word, but also enough information to really understand it. Thus
etymologies, pronunciations, sample quotations, synonyms, antonyms and
translations are included.

Wiktionary has web interface that can hardly be replicated by dictd
protocol, as web interface gives so many references that are helpful
in the study. Thus in my opinion, when dictionary.el looks up word in
Wiktionary, there shall be the 2 extra options:

- the link to the hyperlinked display of Wiktionary entries

- customization for the host that serves Wiktionary entries, as this
  could be also localhost or local network server