Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: James Lu
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 11:03:07 -0400

macOS comes with a system dictionary.

Maybe the dictionary should be part of the GNU system, usable by any userspace program, such as the other GNU operating system, Emacs.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 11:01 AM James Lu <jamtlu@gmail.com> wrote:
Has anyone checked if Wiktionary's quality is good?

In my experience, Oxford dictionary are better than Meriam-Webster's dictionary.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:08 AM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-09-30 17:03]:
> > From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> > Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 00:37:33 -0400
> > Cc: philipk@posteo.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org, spacibba@aol.com, jamtlu@gmail.com,
> >  dgutov@yandex.ru
> >
> > There IS a free English dictionary that people can download.  It is
> > Wiktionary, packaged by kiwix.  It uses a special format, .zim, that
> > is compact and suitable for searching.  That project packages
> > Wiktionary for various languages.
> >
> > Does the dict program have the ability to access a dictionary
> > in that format?
>
> This site seems to offer a gateway between Wiktionary and DICT
> clients:
>
>    https://hewgill.com/dict/

That is great, but... the database for Wiktionary shall be made
available, I have asked Greg, webmaster, to tell me where is such.