Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: James Lu
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 11:01:14 -0400

Has anyone checked if Wiktionary's quality is good?

In my experience, Oxford dictionary are better than Meriam-Webster's dictionary.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 10:08 AM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-09-30 17:03]:
> > From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> > Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 00:37:33 -0400
> > Cc: philipk@posteo.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org, spacibba@aol.com, jamtlu@gmail.com,
> >  dgutov@yandex.ru
> >
> > There IS a free English dictionary that people can download.  It is
> > Wiktionary, packaged by kiwix.  It uses a special format, .zim, that
> > is compact and suitable for searching.  That project packages
> > Wiktionary for various languages.
> >
> > Does the dict program have the ability to access a dictionary
> > in that format?
>
> This site seems to offer a gateway between Wiktionary and DICT
> clients:
>
>    https://hewgill.com/dict/

That is great, but... the database for Wiktionary shall be made
available, I have asked Greg, webmaster, to tell me where is such.