Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 17:42:24 +0300

> From: Tim Cross <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 10:24:01 +1000
> Cc: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>  So basically what's missing is the write access issue.  That should be
>  a single sentence: we don't have ELPA write access, only access to the
>  entire Emacs repository, so they need to request membership in the
>  Emacs project.
>
> That would certainly be a good start. However, is that a maintainable
> approach.

That's what we have now.  IMO information for contributors should
reflect the present state of affairs.

> Assume we are successful in getting more packages into ELPA, increasing the
> discoverability of appropriate
> packages without the need to add repositories like MELPA. Will all of those
> developers be entitled to write
> access to the GNU git repository? What about Richard's proposed
> non-copyrighted repository? Perhaps now
> is the right time to look at the architecture and consider breaking off ELPA
> into a separate authentication
> realm?

If and when the situation changes, we will update the information.  It
is not useful to worry about issues that didn't yet materialize, and
are anybody's guess when they will.

>  > Questions about what can/should go into ELPA, what should be included in
> Emacs
>  > core and what cannot go into ELPA are not addressed at all (the README is
>  > probably not the right place for this information)
>
>  It's quite expected that this is not described, because we are still
>  arguing about that.
>
> I think this is an important argument to resolve in order to address the
> other issues that have been raised,
> such as improving package discoverability or implementation of a
> non-copyrights assigned repository. ELPA
> has existed for quite some time now and we still don't have a clear
> definition of what should go into it. How
> long do we need to argue about it before making a decision? Is anything being
> recorded regarding the
> various arguments or is it just endless unconnected threads in the mail list?
> In other words, how far have we
> moved towards a consensus?

I don't know.  A proposal was put on the table, but some of the
important stakeholders didn't yet respond to it.  If you know what
that means and can predict whether, when and how a decision will be
reached, maybe you can advise me which shares to buy to become rich.