Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: GNU ELPA package discoverability
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 19:01:41 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks, this will need an extra line.  Perhaps we should delete the
> empty line below the image which we display at the beginning of the
> splash screen.

A matter of taste, of course, but I don't mind the extra line below
the picture.

> Another question is whether installing extra packages is indeed
> something to be shown on the splash screen, i.e. a newbie will see it
> as long as he/she doesn't disable it.

The splash screen is a way to advertize the "World of Emacs" to users:
IMHO a resource like ELPA fits well with other external resources like
the GNU/Linux page.

To align the message with the menu entry, the link can say "Manage
Emacs packages" while the description would say "Install or uninstall
additional Emacs packages".

--
 Bastien