Re: Ligatures

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Ligatures
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 12:48:44 +0200

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 12:43:06PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

[...]

> Well, if your family name is 'Dreßen', you don't want to see your name
> written as 'DRESSEN' in your passport (which usually requires
> uppercase for family names): All German speakers would pronounce the
> first 'e' as a short vowel instead of the correct long one.  Exactly
> for this situation – and for hardly anything else – you should write
> 'DREẞEN'.

Yes, I know -- that's why such things change slowly. But the Swiss
prove that it works. We're used to having things which are written
the same and pronounced differently, anyway. One more wouldn't
change things.

Note that I'm not advocating [1] for dropping the 'ß'. I'm just betting
that it might happen rather sooner than later.

Cheers
[1] I've enough to do advocating free software ;-D
-- t