Re: Ligatures

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Ligatures
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 10:07:05 +0200

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 09:55:25AM +0200, Joost Kremers wrote:

> On Tue, May 19 2020, address@hidden wrote:
> >There's no capital version of "ß", you use "SS" (thus breaking
> >bijectivity of upper- and lowercase).
>
> Actually, uppercase ẞ was accepted into the official German spelling
> in 2017:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_%E1%BA%9E (cf. last line of
> Section "History").

Yes, Officially. Nearly nobody uses it. If I had to bet, I'd expect
'ß' to disappear and be replaced by 'ss', as the Swiss do before
uppercase ß has a chance :-)

But we disgress: I was just trying to highlight how much cultural
bias there is in one's view of seemingly technical things. When
talking ligatures, one should try to first understand what crazy
stuff other languages have to take care of.

I wish I could say a thing or two about Devanagari or Hangul [1],
but knowledge is just too limited.

Cheers
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul
    for another example where you stack stuff in two dimensions
-- t