Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 23:49:46 -0400

  > I don't think we should give up our standards to gain a couple of
  > marketing points.  It is completely backwards, IMO, to put that cart
  > ahead of the horse.  We are supposed to develop high-quality software

high quality _and_ freedom-defending!

  > first and advertising ourselves second, not the other way around.

Yes, exactly.

We do not accept the set of values that most programmers take for
granted.  On the contrary, rejecting some of those values is our most
important mission.  We _must_ show people that we are serious about
condemning nonfree software -- and that means we don't compromise
on that question.

--
Dr Richard Stallman