Re: project.el: git submodules?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: project.el: git submodules?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 18:04:06 +0300

On 14.05.2020 05:55, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I even have a patch, but here's another thought: wouldn't this mistakenly
punish people who keep their $HOME as a Git repository to sync
between machines?

Depends if the Git worktrees within their $HOME use the same repository
as the one used for $HOME.

Not 'git worktrees' (to be clear), just random other work directories, for work/hobby/etc projects.

But we could try and be more strict in our definition of what is
a "submodule" for the purpose of finding the project root.  And it's
likely that in the end we should let the user control what happens,
because depending on the specific use of submodules, I can imagine cases
where the user would want to consider the project's root to be that of
the submodule rather than that of the containing Git tree.

Yes, a user option (inrended for dir-locals) is likely in order, but users such as described above would have to set it in _all_ of their work directories.