Re: project.el: git submodules?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: project.el: git submodules?
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 22:55:30 -0400

> I even have a patch, but here's another thought: wouldn't this mistakenly
> punish people who keep their $HOME as a Git repository to sync
> between machines?

Depends if the Git worktrees within their $HOME use the same repository
as the one used for $HOME.
But yes, if they do, then by all accounts, they would qualify as
"submodules" in my book (and the only way to tell if they should be
treated as such or not would be by asking the user).

But we could try and be more strict in our definition of what is
a "submodule" for the purpose of finding the project root.  And it's
likely that in the end we should let the user control what happens,
because depending on the specific use of submodules, I can imagine cases
where the user would want to consider the project's root to be that of
the submodule rather than that of the containing Git tree.

        Stefan