Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: What is the most useful potential feature which Emacs lacks?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 12:40:08 +0200

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 12:34:50PM +0200, Robert Pluim wrote:

>     nil> On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 12:08:46PM +0200, Helmut Eller wrote:
>     nil> [...]
>
>     >> Or maybe Emacs could run inside a browser via WebAssembly or something
>     >> like that.
>
>     nil> I guess you're saying it tongue-in-cheek. But still I shudder at this
>     nil> dystopia.
>
> Youʼre aware of <https://repl.it>, right?

I'm not. I don't even want to follow that link -- I know it'll make me sad.
Don't get me wrong. I'm well aware of what WebAssembly /technically/ is, and
what's possible with it (including Spectre exploits).

It's rather watching the browser (the one piece of software in my environment
I most detest and mistrust) evolve into the indispensable operating system.

It's watching how a piece of formally free software becomes unfree because
of crushing complexity and decommoditiation of protocols

For one time I'm glad to be rather old and soon out of this game.

Cheers
-- tomás