Re: PL support

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: PL support
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 17:30:58 +0100

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 5:06 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> I said nothing about moving Eglot to the core.  It was João, not
> myself.  I'd be happy if we could have these capabilities that
> depended on Eglot (or any other package, really) being installed.  We
> could figure out the rest later.

You said you'd like to see "more of Eglot's LSP support" in the core, two
years ago:

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-05/msg00419.html

At the time, I tore off a big chunk of it, jsonrpc.el to put in the core, and
and made it a :core package. I'm opening to tearing eglot.el gain, i.e. to
extract again, say an lsp.el and make that a :core thing.  This would
advance the "LSP in Emacs" goal. On thing that would fit that fill is a
set of Elisp macros that allow for compile-time and run-time checking
of LSP messages, among other LSP-specific but interface-agnostic
details.

Shall I start working on that?

Eventually though, eglot.el will become pretty thin, be dilluted in Emacs,
maybe disappear completely. I have no problems with that.

João