Re: PL support (was: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: PL support (was: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 16:57:17 +0100

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 4:39 PM Philippe Vaucher
<address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I think Eli has indicated that LSP support in the core is desirable
> > > at some point
> >
> > Not only desirable: long overdue.  Emacs must learn to use the latest
> > technologies of supporting programming languages based on real
> > parsing, because the time when it could be done with regular
> > expressions and similar techniques has come and gone.  We cannot
> > enable significant new IDE-like features if we don't acquire these
> > technologies.
> >
> > Please someone start working on this ASAP.  We sorely need that, just
> > look at the recent discussions on Reddit that underline these
> > deficiencies in Emacs.
>
> Sorry to sound like captain obvious, but shouldn't we contact the
> people at https://github.com/emacs-lsp/lsp-mode and work with them on
> this? Maybe that's already the case? I know there are also other
> repositories with more or less the same goal.

If I'm not mistaken, at some point the goal of lsp-mode previous
mantainer Vibhav Pant was to eventually enter GNU Elpa, but I
think that goal has been abandoned.

In contrast, Eglot's goal has always been that.  This is why I
collect copyrights and sure to work only with GNU Elpa libraries.

João