Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 09:11:39 -0700

On May 9, 2020 1:37:16 AM Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> wrote:

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

So there are three basic operations we can support: in Python syntax,
1) from PKG import * (exposing PKG.foo as foo), 2) import PKG as p
(exposing PKG.foo as p.foo) and 3), from PKG import foo (exposing
PKG.foo as foo).  CL supports all three. I'm most interested in
supporting #2, since that's closest to existing use. The lexspace
prototype posted earlier today supports #3 and #1 (the latter via
lexspace inheritance) only, but I think we should do #2 instead

I suspect we'll need all threes anyway.

Why? What problem is actually being solved by #1 and #3? If the problem is that package names long enough to avoid collisions are too annoying to type, we can address this problem with #2.