Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 14:56:10 -0700

On 5/7/20 2:46 PM, João Távora wrote:
On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 10:10 PM Daniel Colascione <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 5/7/20 2:06 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

     > I thought your previous message was saying you don't like this
    approach
     > (when you said "I don't like reader magic").  Is it that I
    misunderstood
     > or that you don't much like the solution but think that from a
    pragmatic
     > point of view it's still the better option?

    I don't like reader magic in general, but I don't think of the CL
    approach as being all that magical: it has uniform rules and a long
    history. CL namespaces *are* reader magic all right, but it's reader
    magic with which a lot of people are familiar

Not only that, but CL the reader itself is programmable. So it's really
_not_ "magic", it's all (hyper)spec'ed!

Sure. The subject of reader macros has come up before; I used to be in favor. Regardless, symbol namespaces don't require general reader macros.

http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/23_a.htm

However, Daniel, my proposal doesn't have much magic.  Is is really
dumb ;-).  Here's the gist of it (a pure elisp solution using advice,
very lightly tested)

It's not that your solution is bad per se --- it's that it's a bespoke solution that solves fewer problems than the general CL mechanism. Sure, the implementation is simple, but the CL approach isn't really that hard to implement either if we decide to do it.

We should prefer familiar solutions to unfamiliar ones unless the new solution comes with some compelling advantage that compensates for its novelty, and I don't see the scheme you've proposed having enough of an advantage of the CL approach (which also allows prefix aliases) to compensate for being novel.