Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 11:48:59 -0700

Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> writes:

>> Say we have a library exposing functions A B C D ... Z and you want to
>> make a package that is exaclty the same except for functions F and G.
>> You'd import everything (or what you need with #3) and (re)define your F
>> and G versions of it.
>
> When does this situation ever actually come up?

Never in Elisp because we have no namespace facility, but for instance
it could be a cleaner way to change the behavior of a certain package
respect to just advising its functions.  I think this is a pretty common
case for us.

> And why should we pick
> an approach that incurs runtime overhead everywhere just for this?

I'm *not* sure we should and I'm not stating that now.  I suspect it
would be worth, but we are really in early discussion and investigation.

--
address@hidden