Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 14:19:08 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt)
> Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 06:57:54 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> A function for finding the common suffix seems like a useful addition,
> that is very concrete and can most surley be added to e.g. subr-x.el
> or subr.el as maybe 'string-common-suffix STRING1 STRING' or something
> similar, and implemented using `compare-strings'

subr.el is preloaded, and so we don't add there functions unless they
are used very frequently, or are called by preloaded code.  But we
have other places for functions that are deemed important, but whuich
we don't want to preload.

P.S.  Would you please fix your MUA to not mangle non-ASCII names of
your correspondents?  They come out as octal escapes, for some
reason.  Maybe it's because your message doesn't state an encoding.