Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 03:11:24 -0400

   (defun switch-a-3 ()
     (interactive)
     (--> (m-buffer-match (current-buffer) "a")
          (-take 2 it)
          (m-buffer-replace-match it "x")))

How does that even the same thing as:

  (save-excursion
    (while (re-search-forward "foo[ \t]+bar" nil t)
      (replace-match "foobar")))

is beyond me.  And I think that applies to the majority of Emacs Lisp
users, -->, m-buffer-match, m-buffer-replace-match say nothing, they
do not even suggest what they do.

   It's not a bad metric either! Yes, there are many people
   downloading

It is a terrible metric, Emacs isn't a popularity contest.  End of
sentence missing again?

   > And even so, it doesn't automatically mean that it would be a good
   > addition to Emacs -- such things shouldn't be decided only based on
   > popularity.

   Happy to hear the criteria that you would apply.

The same critera that is used when anything is added to Emacs.  I
think that has and is working well, people give their input, you try
to convince the maintainer(s) that it makes sense and follows their
idea of what is "Emacs', and it gets added to Emacs if so.