Making Emacs popular again with a video

From: Nathan Colinet
Subject: Making Emacs popular again with a video
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 10:26:19 +0200

Hello,

I read on the mailing list that you're looking for a way to make Emacs popular again. I thought I could share my idea.

I started using emacs a year ago and when I started everything was really confusing, what is a frame, what is a buffer, how to install packages, what are major and minor modes, etc.. I wanted to give up but then I saw a 1 hour talk about Emacs that shows how powerful it is. Then I was hooked. Unfortunately the sound was no good at all and it was way too long. I think it could be really benefic for emacs to have a 5-10 minutes video that would present Emacs not as an old obscure porgram but as an amazing fresh looking tool that drastically improves efficiency. I think people nowadays need an out-of-the-box experience, that's why promoting doom-emacs or spacemacs might be better than the default Emacs.

I think if the video is well realised it could really be a huge win.

Stay safe and well,

Nathan Colinet