Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 09:41:40 -0700

João Távora <address@hidden> writes:
>> 1. Library ABC version 1 does not define or export FUNC1.
>> 2. Package XYZ :uses ABC, importing all of ABC's exported symbols.
>> 3. Package XYZ defines FUNC1 for internal use. There is no problem.
>> 4. Library ABC version 1.1 defines and exports FUNC1.
>> 5. When XYZ is loaded with ABC version 1.1, XYZ unintentionally
>>    overrides the definition of FUNC1 for all users of ABC.
>
> In which implementation of CL? In the ones I know, step 5
> will get you an error, exactly describing the conflict,
> which you handle interactively or automhatically.

That (NAME-CONFLICT error) only happens at run-time if you have ABC
version 1 already loaded, load XYZ, then load ABC version 1.1.

If you install XYZ, and ABC version 1.1 is pulled in as a dependency,
the only thing you might see is a warning that FUNC1 is being
re-defined.

The compiler cannot magically tell if you are re-defining FUNC1 by
accident or intentionally.

--
Vladimir Sedach
Software engineering services in Los Angeles https://oneofus.la