Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: Vladimir Sedach
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 18:09:08 -0700

João Távora <address@hidden> writes:
> I liked that your example tried to bring a real-life problem
> to the table, but I can't make sense of it.

Let me try a different way:

1. Library ABC version 1 does not define or export FUNC1.
2. Package XYZ :uses ABC, importing all of ABC's exported symbols.
3. Package XYZ defines FUNC1 for internal use. There is no problem.
4. Library ABC version 1.1 defines and exports FUNC1.
5. When XYZ is loaded with ABC version 1.1, XYZ unintentionally
   overrides the definition of FUNC1 for all users of ABC.

Perhaps that makes it more clear.

This is a real problem for a lot of Common Lisp packages right now,
that prevents popular libraries from adding more functionality.

--
Vladimir Sedach
Software engineering services in Los Angeles https://oneofus.la