Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Proper namespaces in Elisp
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 15:07:16 +0100

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 2:45 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> While I largely agree that working at the level of symbols is not fully
> satisfactory, I don't think it deserves to be called "bad design".
>
> If you work at the level of bindings only you will have trouble with all
> the uses of symbols that are expected to be namespaced but appear quoted
> in code (e.g. face names, variable and function names inside macros,
> hooks, args to `add-to-list`, command names passed to `define-key`,
> command names within menus, ...).

Sure, there's that. A symbol can have many types of meaning
attached, not just "variable" and "function". This is a wonderful
thing IMO, a transparent Singleton pattern (avant la lettre btw)
We already do that in symbol plists in Elisp. But, yes, no
namespacing. That sucks.

> It's just a hard problem with no perfect solution, AFAIK.

What's your take on "why CL packages are bad", Stefan?

João