Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 17:28:32 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 23:09:14 -0400
>
> > "C-h d" doesn't look at the names of the functions.
>
> Should we change it to look at their names as well as their documentation?
> I have a feeling that would be more useful than the current definition.

I think it would be better to do it the other way around: make "C-h f"
look at the arguments and the first line of the doc string (and
similarly with "C-h v").  "C-h d" is for when you widen the search
because "C-h f" and "C-h a" failed to find something, so conceptually
"C-h d" should be Plan B in many situations.  If we can make Plan A be
more efficient, it will be a net win.  We can also make "C-h d" do the
equivalent of looking at the names by modifying the doc string in
trivial ways (like I did recently for assq and posix-search-forward),
although this is a per-function solution (however, with many doc
strings we already have that for free).