Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 16:52:39 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>   address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 17:13:44 -0400

> >> The examples I give are not hypothetical
> > Neither are mine.
>
> But the above I meant that I don't understand the relevance of your
> answer.

And that is my problem because...?

> In the scenario of `string-multibyte-p` vs `multibyte-string-p`
> or `absolute-file-name-p` vs `file-name-absolute-p` there is no "look
> over the results".  I only do (or want to do) TAB completion.

No, you want to use that function whose name you don't really
remember.  Completion only helps if you have a pretty good idea about
the beginning of the name (and if there aren't a lot of other
candidates that begin the same).  In your case, completion cannot be
trusted up front; if you use it, you will lose time.

> >> The documentation satisfies a different need.  This discussion is not
> >> about replacing the manual with something else.
> > Not the manual, the help commands.
>
> Neither one nor the other.  Nobody is talking about *replacing* anything
> (other than replacing some names with others, admittedly ;-)

Not entirely accurate.  The proposal is to replace (or, rather, add)
some names that will allow users to discover APIs using completion,
instead of using Help commands, which were designed for this job.