Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 20:16:59 +0300

On 01.05.2020 17:56, Philippe Vaucher wrote:
Following our discussion about namespace I think it's time to start with something concrete where most people are agreeing already

FWIW, I made a couple of other suggestions.

As far as s.el goes, I suppose it might be a good thing to add it to ELPA for those who like it.

I'm not completely sold on its contents for the core, however: a lot of it looks like a compatibility layer for Clojure's familiarity's sake, with very thin wrappers (which basically just add the cost of function invocation).

Examples:

1. s-prepend/s-append: trivially replaced by 'concat'.

2. s-trim: string-trim is already in subr-x.

3. s-split: basically delegates to split-string, but wraps it in save-match-data (which is generally against our guidelines for its use).