Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 18:11:53 +0300

> From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 16:56:13 +0200
>
> 3 Decide how we import these, either by copyright assignments or by importing
> the function signature and
>  "simply" reimplementing these. Their implementation is usually trivial.
>
> On a side note, I'm curious about 3: given the code is already GPL v3, are we
> allowed to simply implement
> the Emacs string-* function using s.el? or copy-paste from it? WARNING I know
> this is a very touchy
> subject and my goal is not to offend anyone, especially not the author of
> this wonderful library, I am just
> genuinely curious of what is allowed and what is not in this case. I'd not
> like to do that without the author
> consent.

If you copy someone's code, the code is still theirs, and we need both
a permission from them to use it and a copyright assignment to include
that in Emacs.

If we are thinking about reimplementing those function, then the
person who is reimplementing is well advised not to look at all at the
original code, but just work from requirements or from an idea of the
implementation described by someone else.