Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 09:33:55 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 22:49:35 -0400
>
> In addition to C-h d, perhaps apropos and its variants should find
> 'assq' when you search for 'alist'.

When I suggested to use C-h d, the response was that this (or the
equivalent index-search in Info) is not the solution being sought.  So
I see no reason to extend facilities that will not help improve the
situation for people who think the C-h family of the commands is not
the right way to solve the problems they are reporting, because we'd
end up with a command that no one uses.

OTOH, we may wish to improve C-h d or apropos, for those who do use
it, by, for example, adding a facility to request the list of
functions and variables that have the first line of their doc string
match the specified regexp.  But that would be an independent idea,
not related to the current discussion.  I'm not aware of any requests
for such enhancements, FWIW, so I'm not sure they are worth our while.