RE: How to poll the users

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to poll the users
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 10:44:50 -0700 (PDT)

> I've already opined on downsides:
>
> everybody having to write the same thing again and again,
> closed-ness to the public (you or I can't read the actual replies),
> and in the event that a significant number of our users really choose
> to participate, it will result in a crapload of messages that a single
> person has little hope to sort out.
>
> And if every such poll will requires a special setup (configuration by
> the admins, etcetera), it will limit our ability to do them.

I don't see how all of those downsides couldn't be
mitigated, providing a GNU site or other means to
serve as single collection point, echoing point
(echoing current counts, text suggestions, etc.),
and even providing a discussion venue.

Nothing says that we need to prevent the public
from seeing the poll results, including comments,
for example.

The point of my suggestion was to not try to have
such polling (interaction, counting, reporting)
be repeated (and likely in differing, possibly
conflicting ways) on sites outside GNU - and
instead to just _announce_ a poll on such outside
venues.

To be clear, nothing should prevent also discussion
etc. on such non-GNU venues.  The point is for GNU
to count, echo, and provide discussion via a GNU
site/mechanism.

IOW, don't try to reproduce the polling here, there
and everywhere.  Just announce it here, there, and
everywhere.  Anyone who wants to discuss a poll
here, there, and everywhere is welcome to do so,
but that discussion will not automatically be
captured as part of the poll itself.

Just one suggestion.