Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 18:45:58 +0300

> Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 15:11:50 +0000
> From: ndame <address@hidden>
> Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> > and at worst might cause some characters be displayed as boxes with hex
> > codes, although some other font on the system could have displayed
> > that character.
>
> If this custom font is only used for displaying icons then why would
> it show characters displayed as boxes?

Emacs doesn't have facilities to use a font "only for something".

> The font could even have a custom name like 'internal font, don't use it'
> to warn users not trying to use it as a regular font.

We don't have facilities to do this, AFAIK.  Font selection uses the
script of the character and the font coverage.  It isn't a user =level
issue: once the font is known to the system and/or to the functions
that enumerate existing fonts, it will be considered whenever Emacs
needs a font for some character.