Re: GDI+ take 3

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: GDI+ take 3
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 12:20:36 +0200

Alan Third <address@hidden> writes:
> FWIW, with a big enough gif[1] I can see the same behaviour using
> giflib on an NS build. The native macOS image backend seems to be able
> to handle the same gif, but it’s still displayed at a far slower frame
> rate than my web browser can handle.
>
> [1]
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B35XTfGL8WmuN2xXcUk4Z3MtMDQ/view?usp=sharing

I think we may be onto something, but first let me distinguish four ways
to deal with this animated gif.

Method A (image-mode + giflib):
1. Open with emacs -Q image-test-large.gif
2. Press ENTER

Method B (pure elisp + giflib):
1. Write down this lisp code into image-test.el
    (defvar test-image (create-image "image-test-large.gif"))
    (insert-image test-image)
    (image-animate test-image)
2. Execute with emacs -Q image-test-large.gif

Method A' and B' (same but gdi+):
- Same, but add --eval '(setq w32-use-native-image-API t)' when invoking
  emacs

* With emacs 26.3, A and B seem to work, but it plays the gif file slower than
  a browser.
* With emacs-28, methods A and B (use libgif) do not work. It slows down, skip
  frames because the timer is triggered out of time.
* With emacs-28, methods A' and B' (active gdi+) both work at the same pace
  as emacs-26.3.

--
Juan José García Ripoll
http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com