Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers (was: "Why is emacs so squar

From: ndame
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers (was: "Why is emacs so square?")
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 08:12:20 +0000

> I personally find that the stance of trying to not breaking anything is
> one of the big reasons that Emacs has a nonusable-without-configuration UX.
> Major version numbers are there for a reason… and we can expect for annoyed
> people to set some variables to get old behavior.

Yes, these changes should be clearly marked in NEWS, so those who don't want
them, can revert them.

Out of the box Emacs should be instantly usable for newcomers and older users
could adapt for the sake of Emacs. I wouldn't mind adding a line to my .emacs to
turn something off which I don't need, but which can make the life of new
users easier.

For example, CUA mode could be on by default. I would turn it off, but it could
make the life of new users easier if they didn't have to turn it on explicitly
and they could use their copy/paste keys from the start like they are used it to
in other tools.