Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers (was: "Why is emacs so squar

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers (was: "Why is emacs so square?")
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 07:54:30 +0100

There are several different ways of making Emacs more friendly for
newcomers, and we should take a look at all these different ways and
try to connect them somehow.

I gave a presentation about my way at the last EmacsConf. It's here:

  http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2019.html

and I mentioned briefly in the presentation - in slides 11-13 - how
I've been using it to teach Emacs to lots of beginners. To make a long
story very short:

  0) install Emacs and eev in their machines,

  1) teach them the basics of Lisp _IN THE FIRST FIVE MINUTES_,

  2) show them how to navigate using the keys M-e, M-j, and M-k,
     and the menu bar and the tool bar.

>From the docs:

  M-e   - to follow a hyperlink.  Mnemonic: "(e)valuate"/"(e)xecute".

  M-j   - to jump to certain predefined places. In particular, M-j
          without a numeric argument takes you to a buffer with basic
          help and a list of jump targets. See:

          http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-quick-intro.html#7.2

  M-k   - to go back.  Mnemonic: "(k)ill buffer".

Cheers,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev