Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 10:28:12 +0800

Ahmed Khanzada <address@hidden> writes:

> However, despite Lisp being extraordinarily powerful (truly a "better
> language"), no dialect of Lisp is a top 10 language. It seems unlikely
> to me that there is no correlation between that fact and the popularity
> and accessibility of Emacs.

Paul Graham has an insightful article here:
http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html;  IMO, it's worth reading.

Plus, if you look inside the domain of "text editor extension
languages", Emacs Lisp is definitely one of the top-10 (assuming there
are 10 at all), and is also probably the most integrated one.

You can also extend Emacs in languages other than Emacs Lisp (the native
module support comes to mind), but at that point you're giving up
exactly what makes Emacs great.

> However, even if there is a correlation, determining the exact nature
> and extent of correlation is difficult.

Agreed.