Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 06:39:52 +0200

> Perhaps we should implement a mode that puts cosmetics on Emacs

Is there any reason not to improve the default look?

> so it will appeal to those who judge by the surface of things.

I think it's unfortunate if we assume that this is all bells and
whistles.  Graphical design elements can also improve usability.

I also don't know that it's helpful to assume that the rest of the
world will take the enlightened stance.  For example, I've always
assumed that many people use Sublime Text not due to any serious
feature comparison with Emacs, but because they like its "sleek look".
I don't suggest that we should imitate proprietary junk editor <foo>,
but we should realize that these things are not wholly unimportant.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas