Re: interactive feel of Emacs: the need for speed, and -Q [measure.el]

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: interactive feel of Emacs: the need for speed, and -Q [measure.el]
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 03:16:51 +0200

Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:

> Once again, I couldn't say. Although the code quality
> of the elisp distributed with Emacs is fairly high, it
> is a large community project, and not everything is
> tested equally. Some packages are used by only a small
> number of people, while others are used by just about
> everybody. And different people have differing
> expectations when it comes to interactivity (and
> different computers which may be slower/faster).
> One thing I can say for certain is that the current
> set of active maintainers has done a very good job of
> tracking the bug reporting list and working hard at
> alleviating defects, once they are reported.

OK, thank, are there any general rules that makes sense?

- defuns that are loaded but not invoked do not slow
  Emacs down, as before and after execution, they are
  just a bunch of text

- hooks, advice, and scheduled stuff (with the idle
  timer) might slow things down, but shouldn't unless
  the stuff one puts there is expensive

- huge software systems that runs all the time and/or
  spawns their own processes (e.g., Gnus, ERC) could
  slow things down, but again, why would that be
  a problem unless the payload in particular is very
  expensive somewhere?

- it is likely that what slows down Emacs in general is
  ... ?

Re: binary search of the init file, this implies that
there is some specific one or two problem areas or
"villains", but I'm not sure there is. The reason
I think so is that -Q Emacs is, and has always been,
much faster _in general_, not in a specific situation.

Here are my requires:

(require 'ada-mode)
(require 'apropos)
(require 'bibtex)