Re: [ELPA] New package: scanner

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: scanner
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 16:43:10 -0400

>> I'm also wondering why you need all those `:key-sequence nil` in the menu.
>> Maybe it reflects a bug in our code?
> The Elisp doc says in (info "(elisp) Extended Menu Items"):
> ‘:key-sequence nil’
>      This property indicates that there is normally no key binding which
>      is equivalent to this menu item.  Using this property saves time in
>      preparing the menu for display, because Emacs does not need to
>      search the keymaps for a keyboard equivalent for this menu item.

AFAIK we never bother with this optimization.  Finding the key-sequence
is supposed to be very cheap (basically a hash-table lookup) because we
pre-compute a "reverse table" from commands to key-bindings.
[ This pre-computation is not that cheap but we the above keyword
  argument doesn't prevent its computation.  ]

> I just thought this is how it's done.

I guess we should adjust the doc, thanks.

        Stefan