Re: [ELPA] New package: scanner

From: Raffael Stocker
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: scanner
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 21:58:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:

> Beside some technical details I had to tweak as part of the addition,
> I noticed another problem: you add a submenu to the global menus (which
> I guess is fine),

TBH, I wasn't quite sure where to add my menu.  But I'm open to better
suggestions.

> but some of the commands in that menu are not
> autoloaded so selecting them signals an error.  You should probably
> "disable/grey" them until the package is loaded, or add autoloads, or

Thanks for spotting this, I will add autoloads.

> I'm also wondering why you need all those `:key-sequence nil` in the menu.
> Maybe it reflects a bug in our code?

The Elisp doc says in (info "(elisp) Extended Menu Items"):

‘:key-sequence nil’
     This property indicates that there is normally no key binding which
     is equivalent to this menu item.  Using this property saves time in
     preparing the menu for display, because Emacs does not need to
     search the keymaps for a keyboard equivalent for this menu item.

I just thought this is how it's done.

  Raffael