Re: :alnum: broken?

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: :alnum: broken?
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 19:40:30 +0100

23 feb. 2020 kl. 19.13 skrev Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:

> I understand the objection, but the check is not unsound. The syntax of
> regexps was not carved in stone by God. It is something that we decide, and
> we can change our minds if the change would be an overall win, as it would be
> if Emacs behaved like Grep.

We seem to be in full agreement. (I meant incomplete rather than unsound, of
course, and you were graceful enough to understand that.)

> The byte-compiler could warn about some of these blunders and if someone
> wants to change the byte-compiler to do that, it would be an improvement.
> However, this would necessarily either cry wolf or let blunders through,
> because the byte-compiler cannot reliably determine whether a string will be
> used as a regular expression.

Quite, it would be rather elaborate code for finding a small subset of what
relint does. In contrast, doing it in the regexp compiler is both simple and
accurate, although only mistakes encountered dynamically are found.