Re: highlight-indent-guides in display engine

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: highlight-indent-guides in display engine
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 07:44:35 +0200

From: Joost Kremers <address@hidden>
Just my opinion, but from a user's perspective it might seem rather strange that a feature that Emacs supports out of the box does *not* work with Lisp. With any other editor I might think "oh well", but Emacs *is* Lisp.

So you are saying that we should not provide this as a built-in
feature unless we also support dynamic indentation that doesn't heed
to tab stops and tab-width?

No, it's probably better to provide this feature for some languages than not to provide it at all. I'm just saying that that will raise some eyebrows in the future and may lead to some surprised questions on the relevant fora. So perhaps some thought about how it might (eventually) be implemented for Lisp may be in order. (Perhaps as a completely separate package written in Lisp, or perhaps with some additional Lisp code that uses the underlying functionality in the C code? I have no idea what's feasible.)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments