Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 05:54:25 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't understand the hate on an optional feature: you could still
> download the patch, fix it up yourself, push and close.

If Emacs doesn't have an interface to the pull request tracker, then
downloading the patch is a lot more work (for me) than applying patches
from people now, which is basically a couple of keystrokes now.  (Except
the fixing-up part, of course.)

> It can even be automated without too much difficulty. Or you can merge
> and push the minor fix-ups in a follow-up commit.

I generally thing stylistic fix-ups in a follow-up commits is a bad
idea -- when other people later `C-x v g' to see what's going on, the
fixed-up lines will obscure the functional change.  Which is annoying.

> "Brow-beating" the submitter, as you phrased it, could be beneficial
> as well if the person is interested in contributing more than one
> patch.

Yes, mentoring submitters towards the expected style is useful, but
certain nit-picks just isn't worth it.